Sunday, August 16, 2009

I chickened out at Fairway Market


Does anyone understand the pricing of chicken parts from Murray's, the drug-free, free-roaming poultry that fills the cases at Fairway Market in Paramus?

My 12-year-old son loves wings and I planned to pick up some during my visit to the Paramus store yesterday. But the price of the family pack was $2.49 a pound, compared with $1.69 a pound for Murray's leg quarters and $1.49 a pound for skin-on drumsticks or thighs. Smaller quantities of Murray's wings are priced higher and they cost even more at the Harlem store.

Shouldn't wings cost less than other parts? They are mostly bone, so you get less meat pound for pound. And Murray's wings are not especially big.

When I've asked Paramus store employees about the higher price of wings, they've invariably said the other parts must be on sale or part of a special promotion. But there is never any indication on the shelves or packages of a sale or promotion. I didn't buy the wings; I didn't want to feel as if I was taken advantage of, I didn't want to feel cheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.