Monday, August 17, 2009

Which supermarket am I in?


I stopped today at the ShopRite in Rochelle Park to pick up a couple of free-range, grass-fed Australian steaks, which were on sale for $4.99 a pound with a club card. But when I looked at some of the posted prices for produce, I did a double-take. This certainly didn't look like the supermarket that has the rep of being the low-price leader in North Jersey.

The big shocker was a pint of Michigan blueberries for $3.99. I asked an employee stocking a nearby shelf if that was a mistake and he said no. Later, at Whole Foods Market in Paramus, I bought two pints of these blueberries for $5. The Michigan berries are bigger than their Jersey cousins, which I haven't seen in the market for a month or so.

Cantaloupes at ShopRite were two for $5, compared with two for $3 at Fairway Market in Paramus. Northwest cherries were $2.99 a pound vs. $2.49 at Fairway. So I grabbed two packages of boneless shell steaks, sold under the Nature's Reserve label, and made a quit exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.