Friday, April 22, 2011

Herring from Sweden swim my way

Klanten bij een haringkar / Eating herring in ...Image by Nationaal Archief via Flickr
Eating herring in the traditional Dutch way.

One of the things I really like about IKEA is that if you don't find the right pillow, water pitcher or house plant in the huge Paramus store, you can always fill up a bag with food imported from Sweden.

Today, I was looking for a small plant, but went home with jars of herring (for me) and packages of cookies and chocolate (for my wife and son).

In a refrigerated case, I found herring in mustard sauce, herring in garlic sauce, herring in dill sauce and herring with onion and carrot -- four, 5.1-ounce jars for $6. The regular price is $1.99 each.

I also bought a small jar of seaweed topping for $1.99, presumably for the herring.

Three bars of milk or hazelnut chocolate were $2.49, a savings of 48 cents; and three packages of cookies were $4, a savings of $1.07. 

Woodcut depicting herring fishing in ScaniaImage via Wikipedia

The small food store also offers frozen fish, Swedish meatballs, Swedish pancakes, carbonated peach drink, jam and many other items. A snack bar adjoins the food store and there is a restaurant on another floor.

IKEA, 100 Ikea Drive, Paramus; 201-843-1881. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.