Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Now you see it, now you don't


Wouldn't it be great if there was one supermarket with low prices all the time and healthy food, too? Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen in my lifetime, so I have to make the rounds of a half-dozen markets.

Wasn't it only Monday that ShopRite in Rochelle Park had Michigan blueberries for $3.99 a pint and Whole Foods Market in Paramus was selling two pints of Michigan berries for $5 or $2.50 each? (See earlier post, "Which supermarket am I in?")

Today, on the way to the dentist, I returned one and a half pints of the berries to Whole Foods, because they were just too tart to eat, and got a full refund. I walked over to the blueberry display, where the sign now said $3.99 a pint and the fruit was from Nova Scotia (though Michigan still was listed as the origin).

On the way home from the dentist, I stopped at the Rochelle Park ShopRite, where Michigan berries now were $2.50 a pint. I picked up two, telling the woman next to me that they were $3.99 each just two days before, then realized she was a former co-worker whose job was eliminated after 38 years with the company. We did a lot of catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.