Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Quick-cooking wild salmon from Costco

The cooking time I gave in yesterday's post for Alaskan wild sockeye salmon from Costco -- 15 minutes -- is for steaming the fish when it is still frozen. Last night, I defrosted three skin-on fillets first and they cooked in barely six minutes in a Pyrex glass dish set atop a pot of boiling water.


Sockeye salmonImage via Wikipedia
The fillets came out moist with medium interiors. I seasoned them with salt and black pepper and a little cheap sake, soy sauce, sweet cooking wine, rice vinegar and Thai fish sauce, and covered the dish. I waited for the water to boil before placing the dish on the pot. I plated the cooked fish and spooned a tablespoon of sauce over each.

I don't see why you couldn't steam the fish with white wine, lemon juice, garlic and a bit of olive oil, if you don't care for this Asian spin.

I had set a timer for 12 minutes and put Idaho potatoes into the microwave to bake for 11 minutes, but in only six to seven minutes, I ended up eating the fish with a big organic spring mix salad, then finishing the last few pieces with the potato and salad. With warmed halves of Syrian pocket bread, I enjoyed a couple of salad and salmon sandwiches, too. Yummy.

This fish, sold under the Kirkland name in three-pound bags for under $26 (eight fillets in my bag),  will be great once a week until summer, when fresh Copper River salmon fillets from Alaska start showing up in Costco's refrigerated cases. You can also find frozen Alaskan salmon and other frozen fish at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.