Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Can you trust big-city paper's food writing?

Pacific Sardine (Sardinops sagax)













The Record today carries an article from the Chicago Tribune on nutritious foods, including sardines. Because I eat a lot of sardines, one sentence caught my eye: "Avoid sardines packed in vegetable oil, which is high in pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids."

Before I dump all my sardines in oil and replace them with cans of fish in tomato sauce, I did some research and came across this from the American Heart Association:

DALLAS, Jan. 27, 2009 — Omega-6 fatty acids – found in vegetable oils, nuts and seeds – are a beneficial part of a heart-healthy eating plan, according to a science advisory published in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.
So who do you believe, Julie Deardorff of the Chicago Tribune (whoever she is) or America's heart doctors? The link to the AHA article is below:

Omega-6 fatty acids can be part of healthy diet
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Sardines are one of the best sources of heart-healthy omega 6 fatty acids - luckily the rest of us know that! I wonder if I would ever give them up, even if what Ms DearDorff claims were true (which I know it isn't!).. Love them best fresh, grilled with lemon juice, olive oil and seasoned generously

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Have you tried sardines with pasta? It's a hit here.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to stay on topic.