Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Can coffee be subversive?

TrinidadImage via Wikipedia








I just loaded the dispenser in my espresso machine with Cuban-style dark-roasted beans I bought from costco.com. A kilo (2.2 pounds) of this Ruta Maya organic Cubita coffee cost  $22.99, including shipping. That's about what I would pay for two pounds of coffee beans at Starbucks. Amazon.com lists the Cubita-style coffee for $36.78.

I haven't brewed a cup yet, but you can read this description from the warehouse store's Web site:
Ruta Maya’s Cubita Cuban Style Dark Roasted Coffee is the smoothest of the Cubita roasts, yet has a rich, dark chocolate roast. Cubita Coffee or “CafĂ© Sabor de Cuba” embodies the heady aroma and deep-bodied coffee flavor of Cuba. Styled after the national coffee of Cuba, Cubita is a blend of coffee beans from Latin American countries carefully selected and roasted to match the authentic Cuban coffee experience with lots of flavor and bite.
That could use some editing, but doesn't it sound promising? I hope I'll be able to recapture the taste of the coffee I enjoyed on a half-dozen trips to Cuba from 1998 to 2004 (photo is of Trinidad, Cuba). Here's the link to the site, but you'll have to search for "Cubita coffee."


http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=3605&eCat=BC|3605&lang=en-US&whse=BC&topnav=


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.