Thursday, November 12, 2009

A quick bread salad for breakfast

Manchego cheese






My wife didn't know what to have for breakfast today, so I served her an open-face sandwich of melted Spanish Manchego sheep-milk's cheese on thin, broad slices of the pain de siegle rye bread I picked up yesterday at Balthazar Bakery in Englewood (see post, "Shopping notes"). Before I put them under the broiler for about five minutes, I added sliced plum tomato, Italian seasoning and extra-virgin olive oil.

When she finished, I was surprised to see she had trimmed off all of the wonderful, now-crispy but cheese-less crust. I scooped up the pieces, grabbed some organic salad greens from the fridge and cut up the rest of the plum tomato, then drizzled all with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

I ate the salad with a red salmon-tuna salad sandwich with sliced Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, sides of kimchi and Korean-style stewed tofu, and black tea.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.