Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A big lunch for not much money at Syros Taverna in Englewood

Grilled salmon over a small salad is the centerpiece of a $12.95, three-course lunch during (201) Restaurant Week at Syros Taverna in Englewood.

My appetizer was a choice of two dips with Greek pita.


By VICTOR E. SASSON
EDITOR

A friend who had dinner at Syros Taverna in Englewood warned me the Greek seafood restaurant is expensive.

So, I didn't expect much today when I met a friend there for a $12.95 lunch during (201) Restaurant Week.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the portions and the well-prepared food.

I started with two dips, taramasalata (fish roe) and melitzanosalata (eggplant), which came with Greek pita.

My main dish was a nice piece of grilled salmon over a small salad with tomato, cucumber, olives and feta cheese, and the kitchen delivered the moist fillet I asked for.

I usually avoid dessert, but couldn't resist thick non-fat Green yogurt with honey, nuts and strawberry syrup.

When I asked for the check, my receipt said, "Cash gratuity greatly appreciated," something I haven't seen before.



A sensible and healthy dessert ended my $12.95 lunch.

My friend ordered an appetizer of zucchini and eggplant chips with skordalia, a thick puree of potatoes and garlic, that cost $12, almost as much as my three-course lunch.

During our lunch, we saw only one other table occupied at any one time.

The (201) Restaurant Week promotion runs through Thursday. A three-course dinner at Syros Tavenra is $29.95 during the promotion. Lunch is $9.95, $12.95 or $16.95.


Syros Taverna, 51 Palisade Ave., Englewood; 201-731-3558. Metered street parking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.