Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sandy disrupts best-food routes

Hurricane Sandy's flood waters swamped restaurants in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.
Applebee's was one of the few restaurants on Emmons Avenue that re-opened.


In my travels around the metropolitan area, I often look for the best food rather than the shortest or most-scenic route.

That was the case on Friday, the 18th day since Hurricane Sandy hit New York and New Jersey.

On the way to John F. Kennedy International Airport, I took the Belt Parkway's Knapp Street exit, my heart set on a dozen fresh clams on the half shell in the Sheepshead Bay section of Brookyn.

My first stop was Randazzo's Clam Bar on Emmons Avenue, but in the parking lot, a man who appeared to be the owner said the restaurant was closed and in need of repair.

And all of the other seafood restaurants also were closed, as I learned as I drove around the neighborhood, finding dark traffic lights, police officers directing traffic, and debris and garbage bags piling up on sidewalks.  

One of the few places that took several feet of water, but had been repaired, was Applebee's at 2505 Emmons Ave., so I stopped there for a small bowl of tomato-basil soup ($4.99) and a cup of black coffee.

When the waiter told me the soup was tomato-basil, I asked if it contained cream. He wasn't sure. But he said if I liked marinara sauce, I would like the soup.

The soup was tasty, but nothing like pasta sauce. 
 


Pears evoke fall colors at DePiero's Farm in Montvale.

DePiero's makes its own marinara and vodka pasta sauces, top shelf.



Earlier in the day, on a visit to Montvale, I made sure to stop at DePiero's Farm.

I picked up shallots ($2.59 a pound), sweet potatoes (99 cents a pound) and fresh, untrimmed green beans ($2.49 a pound).

DePiero's Farm, 300 W. Grand Ave., 
Montvale; 201-391-4576.


Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.