Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Why I love leftovers

Aleppo pepper, a seasoning produced in Syria. ...Image via Wikipedia
A reliable source for Aleppo pepper is Fattal's Bakery in Paterson.



















You're probably tired of reading about the fresh, wild sockeye salmon I've been buying at Costco in Hackensack, but I'm far from tired of eating this fatty fish for dinner, breakfast and whenever.


Most of time, I cut a fillet into six or seven portions, add fresh lemon juice, Aleppo red pepper and chopped herbs from the garden, and bake it for 10 minutes to 15 minutes at 375 degrees, depending on whether I want it rare or cooked through (for my wife and son).


When I remove the clear plastic wrapping over the foam tray, the raw fish is glistening with oil. Costco says wild salmon arrives in stores only three days after processing in the northwestern United States. It's a low $7.99 a pound.


I cooked the salmon Monday night, eating two portions for dinner with blanched and sauteed Shanghai bok choy, and some stewed tofu in a red-pepper sauce.


This morning, I plated a leftover portion of fish, a chunk of stewed Alaska pollock, a piece of tofu and more baby bok choy with garlic, left over from the 2 pounds I bought at H Mart for 78 cents a pound.



Bok Choy growing in a garden.Image via Wikipedia
Bok choy growing in a garden.

I warmed everything in the microwave for about 1 minute while I fried two eggs in extra-virgin olive oil, sunny side up. 


To the eggs, I added a little salt, a little Aleppo pepper and leftover chopped basil, oregano and rosemary, and when they were ready, I slid them from the pan on top of the bok choy.


A tasty, filling, fork-and-knife breakfast.


Rx for good eating


I took advantage of a doctor's appointment in Englewood to pick up a large jar of Arirang cabbage kimchi at the factory, 191 W. Englewood Ave.


My next stop was Jerry's Gourmet & More, 410 S. Dean St., for mixed Italian olives at $3.99 a pound, compared to $6.99 a pound and $7.99 a pound elsewhere. 


But the store was out of them, so I bought a container of Cerignola black olives, which were only $3.99 for 18 ounces.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.