Thursday, August 18, 2011

No waiting for $11.95 dinner

A bottle of Aceto Balsamico di Modena, aged fo...Image via Wikipedia
If you go for the early bird dinner at Amici Family Restaurant in Bergenfield, you might find yourself sharing the dining room with the Family in the restaurant's name -- three generations speaking in English and Italian.


For $11.95, you get a chicken, veal, eggplant or fish entree with pasta or vegetables; a cup of soup or a side salad; a soft drink, coffee or tea, and bread.


I dropped in Wednesday about 4:30 in the afternoon and ordered a salad and tilapia in a garlic-and-white wine sauce. 


My diet limits bread or pasta, so I was happy when the waitress offered vegetables with my fish, but the restaurant doesn't have canned seltzer or club soda.


I also liked bringing my own wine to this BYO, and enjoying a couple of glasses with dinner.


The salad was served in a soup bowl -- romaine and iceberg lettuce with tomato, cucumber, red onion and a stuffed olive -- which I dressed with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.


The fish was wonderful in a garlicky, light-red tomato sauce with chopped fresh tomato. On the side were bright-green, crunchy cooked broccoli and yellow squash.


I finished with two cups of strong black coffee from a fresh pot. Only one other table was occupied by customers while I was there.


Even without bread and pasta, this was a satisfying meal. My total was $14.78 with tax and tip.


The early bird special is served Mondays to Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Dine-in only.


Amici Family Restaurant, 127 S. Washington Ave., 
Bergenfield; 201-374-1996. BYO.


Web site: All in the family




2 comments:

  1. I think the family needs to move their conversation into the kitchen or behind that counter when you first walk in. I like the food at this place but each time we have eaten there we have had to deal with them using that table closest to the pizza oven area as their impromptu office desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They left after I was there about 15 minutes, so maybe the key is going a little later.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to stay on topic.