Saturday, October 23, 2010

Stopping at Stop & Shop

Tropicana ProductsImage via Wikipedia

I had an errand today near the Super Stop & Shop in north Hackensack, and stopped in to see what was on sale.


I found a special on Wallaby-brand organic yogurt in 6-ounce cups at four for $3 or 75 cents each -- 4 cents less than at BJ's Wholesale Club in Paramus. I bought eight cups of the flavored yogurt. My wife prefers Wallaby to Stonyfield Farm organic yogurt, and I agree with her.


What looked like a half gallon of Tropicana orange juice (two for $6) was actually only 59 ounces, instead of 64 ounces.

In produce, I had trouble trying to figure out the signs. The only sign for romaine lettuce I saw said $1.99 each and had "Organic" written above it, but when I got to the register, the big head I chose rang up at $1.50 or two for $3, and likely is conventional, not organic. It weighed about two pounds.

On the way home, I stopped at Sahara Fine Foods for 11 cans of Al Shark-brand Moroccan sardines in spicy oil, at 99 cents each (not skinless and boneless). A 16-ounce jar of Beirut-brand tahini sauce was $3.99.

It's a good thing I picked up the romaine lettuce, because when I wanted to make a salad with Earthbound Farm organic spring mix for dinner tonight, I found it had started to rot, and it has a use-by date of Oct. 25. I plan to take it back to Costco in Hackensack for a full refund.

Stop and Shop, 380 W. Pleasantview Ave., Hackensack; 201-342-6030.


Sahara Fine Foods, 242 S. Summit Ave., Hackensack; 201-487-7222.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Didn't you know that 59 ounces is the new gallon? Actually, it was one of the other brands that led the charge, maybe Tree Ripe or Simply Orange. It's been more than a decade since Chock Full o'Nuts made 13 ounces the new pound of coffee; amazing how the can stayed the same size, though.
    Just wait until the Republicans seize control of Congress in a couple of weeks. Then you can look for 75 cents will be the new dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I meant "59 ounces is the new half-gallon"! And don't discount the possibility that while the Romaine lettuce had $1.99 written above it, there was no little sticker with the price code on the lettuce, and the cashier may have mistaken it for regular non-organic Romaine lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, with the romaine, I put it on one of the scales in which you can put in the PLU number on the band around the lettuce and it read quantity "2" and $3.00. That just confused me further (two for $3). The word organic wasn't written on the band.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to stay on topic.