Sunday, January 24, 2016

Good food -- and a little red wine -- saw us through North Jersey storm

On Saturday night, I opened my front door to experience the calm after the first major snowstorm to hit northern New Jersey this winter. On Friday night and as the snow fell on Saturday, I enjoyed a series of small, comforting meals.


By VICTOR E. SASSON
EDITOR

I got our snow blower to roar to life on Saturday, but the white stuff kept on falling and blowing into my face, and I gave up after clearing the sidewalk and half of the driveway.

At least we didn't lose power.

On Saturday morning, I prepared a 10-inch frittata from seven or eight whole organic eggs, Campari Tomato halves, prepared pesto and Mexican-style salsa.

All of the ingredients came from Costco Wholesale in Teterboro, as did a fully cooked Trident Seafoods slow-smoked Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Fillet we had in the cupboard.

We also had leftovers -- organic whole-wheat pasta shells with pesto, black truffles and pignoli nuts, and boiled Kabocha squash and garlic mashed with extra-virgin olive oil and seasonings.

I was in Englewood on Wednesday and Friday, when I bought a restaurant-quality takeout dinner from Jerry's Gourmet & More, and fresh spring mix and baby spinach from the cafe at the hospital where I volunteer.

Damn the storm. We ate well, and enjoyed a few glasses of red wine.

And the sun is shining brightly this morning.



A wedge of frittata, and organic whole-wheat shells with pesto, black truffles and pine nuts. Costco Wholesale's pignoli or pine nuts are imported from China, but now are organic.

Slow-smoked wild sockeye salmon with mashed Kabocha squash and a wedge of frittata.

Slow-smoked sockeye salmon in a salad of fresh spring mix dressed with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

From Jerry's, 410 S. Dean St. in Englewood, tender Calamari Fra Diavolo with string beans, and roasted potatoes with peppers and onions. I washed down the meal with a couple of glasses of red wine from Italy.

Jerry's Meal To Go included Eggplant Caponata, above, and was marked down to $5.99 after 4 p.m. on Wednesday, when I picked it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.