Friday, December 19, 2014

If Jerry's in Englewood is out of Meals to Go, try something else

The checkout line at Jerry's Gourmet & More in Englewood on Wednesday afternoon was one of the longest I've seen.


By VICTOR E. SASSON
EDITOR

I was looking for just one of those restaurant-quality takeout dinners from Jerry's Gourmet & More on South Dean Street in Englewood.

As I drove into the parking lot on Wednesday afternoon, I thought Jerry's stuffed squid with pasta and vegetables would make a great dinner once I got it home and poured a glass of red wine.

But it was late, around 4:30, and I could see only one Meal to Go as I approached the refrigerated case.

Too bad it was sausage and peppers, out of bounds since I stopped eating meat and poultry, even at the reduced price of $5.99 after 4 p.m., a $2 discount.

So, I investigated what else was in the refrigerated case.



If you don't want the last Meal to Go, check out Jerry's homemade salads and dressing in the same refrigerated case.

Salads include Tuscan Kale, Tabbouleh and Farro. The last two include wheat.

Homemade kale salad 

The Tuscan Kale Salad could have used more dried cranberries, pignoli nuts and shaved Parmigiano Cheese to relieve the monotony of the dark-green cabbage.

You get 5 ounces of salad for $3.99, and it provided two servings.

Instead of the olive oil-balsamic vinegar dressing, a small container of Jerry's creamy Italian Dressing would have tasted better with the salad.



The Tuscan Kale Salad comes with a small container of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, but there was far too little dressing.

I also bought a bottle of Jerry's creamy homemade Italian Dressing, which includes oil, anchovies, mustard, fresh garlic and other ingredients ($3.49 for 9 ounces). Another purchase was a 1-pound package of Garofalo Whole Wheat Pappardelle from Italy ($2.59).

Earlier Wednesday, I found myself driving behind a truck for Bartolomeo's in Englewood, and thought the faded photos of food weren't very good advertisement for this competitor of Jerry's. 


Jerry's Gourmet & More, 410 S. Dean St., Englewood; 201-871-7108. Call for holiday hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.