Thursday, January 2, 2014

Advancing storm panics Costco Wholesale shoppers

Less than 30 minutes after the 10 a.m. opening today, checkout lines were long and getting longer at the Costco Wholesale in Hackensack, above and below. The line for returns was as long as the one I saw right after Christmas.




By VICTOR E. SASSON
Editor

Did I really have to rush down to Costco Wholesale -- less than 2 miles from my home -- for organic milk, liquid egg whites, bread and two kinds of cheese today?

For the past 24 hours, I had been listening to radio and TV news reports about an advancing snowstorm, and the media made it sound as if the world was about to end.

A story in the morning paper predicted "near-blizzard" conditions and power outages in North Jersey.

True, I was running low on organic spring mix, grated sheep's milk cheese and bread, but none of those purchases were critical or even necessary.

When I got to Costco, I slipped into the lot "the back way" to avoid a long line of cars at the entrance.

It was about 10 minutes after the 10 a.m. opening, but the lot was nearly full. Later, an employee said there was no unannounced early opening. 



On Wednesday night, after listening to storm reports, I prepared a pound of organic whole-wheat spaghetti in Kirkland Signature Marinara Sauce with baby spinach, sardines and anchovies.

After a plate of spaghetti tonight, I prepared a sweet-and-savory salad of Earthbound Farm Organic Spring Mix, diced fuyu and Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, dressed simply in extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.


On the checkout line, the couple in front of me had purchased folding shovels and a couple of cases of bottled water. 

Other shoppers were pushing carts that were piled high with food and water.

When I couldn't immediately find Kirkland Signature All Natural Multigrain 100% Whole Grain Bread, I asked an older woman who was pushing her full cart toward the bread section, and she simply ignored me.

When I saw another woman putting two 12-bottle cases of seltzer into her cart, I told her she could get a better deal at ShopRite during the Super Can-Can Sale ($5.69 at Costco v. $4.80 at ShopRite). 

She put back the seltzer, thanked me and said her husband loves going to the Englewood ShopRite.



This morning, I made a large quantity of mashed sweet potatoes with extra-virgin olive oil, and ate them with leftover mahi mahi, tofu and cabbage with sweet peppers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.