Monday, June 24, 2013

Wild Salmon with Ripe Peaches and Tomatoes

Homemade wild Alaskan sockeye salmon with ripe peaches and tomatoes. I roasted the fish on parchment paper in a 375-degree oven for about 10 minutes.

Other ingredients are fresh oregano from the garden, fresh lime juice, ground Aleppo pepper and ground cinnamon. Everything except the Aleppo pepper and oregano is available at Costco Wholesale.



I had to wait a few days for the peaches to ripen on my kitchen counter before buying a fillet of wild sockeye salmon from the Copper River in Alaska at Costco Wholesale ($13.99 a pound).

I also had reserved a few ripe Sunset-brand beefsteaks to prepare Wild Salmon with Ripe Peaches and Tomatoes, but decided to try it without the salty capers I used last year.

My teenage son suggested I try cinnamon on the peaches, in addition to the lime juice and spicy ground Aleppo pepper I use for seasoning the fish.

I cut the salmon fillet into serving pieces and placed them on parchment paper in a pan, adding the peach segments and sliced tomatoes between the pieces.

The peaches and tomatoes heated through in the 10 minutes I roasted the fish in a 375-degree oven, and the sweet fruit tastes great when eaten with the rich salmon.

Next time, I'll use capers and more cinnamon, and season everything with the sweet-hot powder.



I made a 10-inch frittata with smoked wild salmon, tomato, pesto, and reduced-fat milk and cheeses, using two whole organic eggs and the new Kirkland Signature Egg Whites, a clear, watery liquid that will take some getting used to. All the ingredients are available at Costco.

The watery egg whites don't give a frittata the body of the item it replaces, Kirkland Signature Real Egg Product, which was thickened with food gums and colored yellow. More whole eggs may be the solution.



Good and bad

I made my first Saturday morning frittata with the new Kirkland Signature Egg Whites, and may have to use more whole eggs for body.

The new product is 100% liquid egg whites -- clear and watery -- and doesn't have any of the thickening agents, spices or color in Costco Wholesale's old Real Egg Product.

I used only 2 whole organic eggs and may have to up that to 4 in the future.

The frittata came out fluffy, but a little watery.


Leftover frittata and wild salmon made for a filling breakfast.

Another Breakfast of Champions: Wild salmon with leftover collard greens.

A couple of pounds of green-leaf and red-leaf lettuce are the first produce from my garden. They came from plants we purchased at H Mart, the Korean supermarket chain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.