Sunday, January 20, 2013

Restaurant Week lunch is still a bargain

Sauteed Skate Wing at db Bistro Moderne in Manhattan.

Braised Beef Paleron.





Restaurant Week lunches in Manhattan now cost $25 for three courses, up from $24.07.

That's still a good deal for a meal that would cost $40 or more, if ordered a la carte.

On Friday, my wife and I enjoyed great food and service at db Bistro Moderne on West 44th Street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues, one of Chef Daniel Boulud's restaurants.



Farm Salad with mushrooms, cheese and walnuts.



I had a sumptuous wild-mushroom soup, a melt-in-your mouth sautéed skate wing with leeks, kale, mushrooms and a Romesco sauce; and a dessert of cheese, dried fruit and raisin bread.

This was an indulgent lunch, with creme fraiche floating on the thick soup, slices of olive and raisin bread, and two full-fat cheeses.

My wife started with a wonderful farm salad and chose braised beef in a red wine sauce for her entree.

She hasn't developed a taste for mushrooms, so I speared them from her salad and entree.


Assiette de Fromages.

'Creamsicle'


Her dessert was called Creamsicle -- citrus sponge cake, vanilla custard and orange sherbet.

The dining room was packed and noisy, but service was excellent.

The Winter Restaurant Week promotion runs through Feb. 8. Menus and other details can be found at www.nycgo.com.



2 comments:

  1. Ha! My husband likewise gets to enjoy the benefits of my mushroom aversion. I actually enjoy the flavor mushroom gives to food, but I can't deal with the texture of the actual beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear some mushrooms taste like meat. Absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to stay on topic.