Sunday, October 21, 2012

Heaven on earth for lovers of fresh seafood

A big portion of Wild Salmon over Warm Orzo Salad at Seafood Gourmet.


I'm racking my brain to remember why I allowed nearly two years to pass before returning for another great meal at Seafood Gourmet in Maywood.

The market-restaurant's limited seating and the need to make a reservation on the weekends have something to do with it. 

Last weekend, I called too late for a table for 4.

But on Saturday, other family members were away,  and I had no trouble walking in a little after 5 p.m. and getting a table for 1 in the small dining room, which seats about 40.

On my last visit in December 2010, I ordered wild salmon from the specials menu, and I did the same this time, lured by the Dijon Horseradish Sauce and Warm Orzo Salad ($23.99).

The fresh salmon fillet was pan-seared to medium, and literally melted in my mouth. 

"Gourmet" in the restaurant's name is no exaggeration, given the quality of the fish.

The entree was prepared with imagination, the portion was generous and it was sold at a fair price.




The wild salmon, cooked medium, was an extraordinary piece of fresh fish.



My entree included soup or salad, and I chose the latter. But I wanted to try a cup of the Seafood Corn Chowder, also listed on the specials menu ($2.95).

I'm glad I did, and I liked the light broth and fresh pieces of fish so much I ordered a bowl to go ($4.75).




The Seafood Corn Chowder was filled with fresh fish.

My entree included a salad with a balsamic dressing on the side.



To find a greater variety of fresh fish, you'd probably have to go to the more expensive Legal Sea Foods at the mall in Paramus, and good luck getting a parking space on the weekend.

The regular menu for The Restaurant at Seafood Gourmet lists a dozen or more complete fish dinners, simply broiled or grilled.

And Seafood Gourmet is a BYO where I enjoyed a couple of glasses of my own sauvignon blanc from New Zealand with dinner.

I always seem to order from the specials menu. In 2010, my wild salmon came with crab risotto and  fresh asparagus, a beautifully balanced meal.



The dining room was renovated about 2 years ago.

The front of the house is a fish market.

Great fish awaits behind the simple storefront.


The Restaurant at Seafood Gourmet, 103 W. Pleasant Ave., Maywood; 201-843-8558.

BYO, free street parking. Lunch 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and dinner from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Closed Sundays.


Web site: Fresh fish since 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.