Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bright spots on the road to recovery

Mozzarella cheeseImage via Wikipedia


The good news is that my weight has dipped below 190 pounds (bathrobe off). But the bad news is  I still don't have my old appetite back and medication continues to affect my taste buds.


My other vital signs this morning were blood pressure, 117 over 71; heart rate, 75; oxygen saturation, 97%; and temperature, 96.6 degrees. I am 5 feet 9 inches.


I'm more or less following the diet I stuck to for about a year before my Sept. 16, 2011, open-heart surgery -- losing about 30 pounds -- but straying occasionally with a slice of pizza or toast with peanut butter, jelly, and thinly sliced cucumber as a reward for surviving.


This morning, I had an egg-white omelet filled with small, egg-like seaweed topping from Ikea and oozing with marinated fresh mozzarella cheese from Costco Wholesale.


On the side, I has two plumb tomatoes, sprinkled with za'atar thyme mixture from Fattal's Bakery, and mixed Italian olives from Jerry's Gourmet & More. I drank hot organic black tea (Newman's Own from Amazon.com). 


For dinner Monday night, I had leftovers from Sunday night: Fresh wild Alaskan coho salmon fillet from Costco, with lemon juice, chopped garden herbs and Aleppo red pepper (Fattal's); baked yams and a salad of organic spring mix, plus a glass of wine.


Recent breakfasts have included leftover imported whole-wheat spaghetti from Trader Joe's with codfish, onion and sweet peppers -- with an egg-white omelet oozing that fresh mozzarella.


Jerry's Gourmet and More, 410 S. Dean St., Englewood; 201-871-7108.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.