Sunday, May 17, 2009

An Omega-3 sandwich for any time of the day

When I saw that I didn't have enough sardine left for my breakfast sandwich today, I opened a pack of smoked wild Alaskan sockeye salmon from Costco and assembled a sandwich oozing with beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids.

I started with toasted, 100% whole grain bread (also from Costco) and a spread of baba ghanouj. I added organic spring mix, half of a fat Moroccan sardine, some prescliced wild salmon, sliced tomato sprinkled with za'artar and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. The same ingredients would be terrific in Balthazar Bakery's baguette or stuffed into Fattal's pita.

My first bite hit the cumin I had sprinkled on the baba ghanouj, the salty cheese and the two layers of fish. My side dishes were ajvar, the Macedonian pepper-and-eggplant spread, and crunchy cabbage kimchi. After a 2.2-mile walk in chilly conditions, this sandwich was a warm welcome home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.