Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The market that often beats all others on price

For dinner tonight, we baked six small whiting and steamed two dozen Little Neck clams in sake and garlic. I bought them at H Mart in Little Ferry, the Korean supermarket formerly known as Han Ah Reum.

I also picked up five pounds of organic carrots ($4.99) and a box of 20 champagne mangoes from Mexico ($11.99). The whiting were $2.99 a pound and the clams $3.99 a dozen. I saw herbicide-free Campari tomatoes for $1.99 a pound, compared to $2.50 at Fairway in Paramus and $2.75 at Costco in Hackensack.

I shopped at the H-Mart in Englewood, when I lived there, and occasionally visited the Ridgefield store. Year in, year out, the prices for fresh fish and produce are often the lowest around and the quality, compared to ShopRite, for example, is far superior. The whiting I picked up this evening had the sweetest flesh and compared favorable to the larger whiting I bought at Fairway last week for $3.99 a pound (or was it $4.99?).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to stay on topic.